22 ways to simplify your life
The world is not as simple as it once was. People used to value time with their loved ones more than their commitments and possessions; this may no longer the case. Many of us have lives that are hectic and busy. It’s no wonder we are so overwhelmed and stressed much of the time. Not ideal. Fortunately, we do have control. We can simplify. By simplifying, we can make room for the things that truly matter in our lives. (Remember, it’s not about being perfect but making strides in the right direction.)
Here are 22 ways to simplify your life.
- Slow Down…We can’t be in constant motion all the time and expect to be at our best. We have to make time to rest. The funny thing about slowing down, is that you actually tend to get more done in the long run. (think turtle + hare)
- Declutter…If something doesn’t serve you or you have no true purpose for it, get rid of it. Mental thoughts and physical things. There’s no reason to clutter our lives with things that are of no use.
- Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff…Most of the time when major problems arise we tend to them, period. But the small stuff festers. Getting worked up about the small stuff can take up much of our life and is no way to live.
- Own Less…How much do we really need? Make sure everything you own has a reason to be there. Don’t let your stuff weigh you down.
- Make Time for your ‘Bucket List’…What are the things you want to do in life? What will you regret not doing? Write these down and put them in a place you can see them. Put together an action plan to complete these items intentionally. 22 + Bucket List Ideas for 2016 @ blog22
- You May Need to Cut People Out in Your Life…Embrace deeper relationships instead of lots of surface ones.
- Curate a Capsule Wardrobe…Capsule wardrobes can solve a multitude of problems and will definitely help you live a more simple life. A mix + match set of clothing gives you more time and saves you money in the long run. Capsule Wardrobe @ blog22
- Stop Multitasking…It seems like a genius idea, right? Do everything at once. Wrong. We can’t multitask and expect to be fully engaged or fully focused in anything we do. Instead, simply focus on doing one thing at a time until it’s complete and then move on to the next task.
- Limit Your Choices…Between the time we wake up until the time we fall asleep we have a million choices to make. Ok, maybe not a million, but one way to make things easier is to purposefully limit them.
- Get Clear on Your Why…What is your purpose? What are your goals? What do you want to accomplish in this lifetime? Many of us are not conscious of our ‘why’ in life until it’s too late.
- Say No…We all want to be the ‘Yes Man’ but to always say yes is too big of an expectation to put on ourselves. It’s unrealistic. Say yes to only the things that light your soul on fire. Every time you say no, you are making room for all the yes things that count.
- Limit the Negativity…Negative energy and vibes spread like wildfire when we give them attention. Surround yourself with positive people, positive words, and positive news feeds.
- Be Intentional with Your Time…Two of the most common phrases we hear is ‘I’m too busy’ and ‘I don’t have time.’ But the truth is that these are choices we make. Busy is a choice. How we spend our time is a choice. We need to think about what matters to us and prioritize that, everything else becomes secondary.
- Live Debt Free…Yes, this is realistic. Living in debt adds a lot of stress to our lives. If we need to go into debt for something like a car or more education, or a home, etc, we need to make sure we can afford to pay it off. Make a plan, stick to it, and be at peace with it.
- Unplug…Technology is amazing and powerful, but we spend so much time connected to our devices and not enough time being connected with ourselves and our loved ones. We are in severe danger of letting life pass us by while we spend our time mindlessly scrolling through news feeds.
- Unsubscribe…from emails, magazines, mailers, and social media pages/accounts that no longer serve you. Hopefully it’s not us ;)
- Meal Prep…You can spend a few hours getting an entire week’s worth of meals prepped and ready to go to save you time! And it will help you eat healthier.
- Batch Your To Do List…Look at your to do list and find the tasks that are similar and do those together so you are in the same mindset. If you have 3 errands to run, do them in the same afternoon. If you need to send/answer a few emails, do them at the same time. Batching your tasks will help you save time and energy.
- Get Rid of Just In Case Items…An easy way to simplify your life is to get rid of all the items sitting around that you keep JIC. By getting rid of these items you will clear up some clutter and it will leave you feeling more free! Here is our fav article on ‘just in case’ items. 'Getting Rid of Just-In-Case Items: 20 Dollars, 20 Minutes'
- One In, One Out…Better yet, one thing in, two things out.
- Cut Back on Email Time…Check your email 1-3 times per day. And while your at it, change your Facebook settings to receive your fav peeps + pages posts in your news feed first and in your notifications. (This works!)
- Delegate + Ask for Help…Our guess is that you probably have a lot on your plate. Take advantage of family and friends who want to help you and let them know how they can help you.
There’s no one way to live a simple life. Find what works for you and what makes you happy. Embrace it.
Taylor + Stephany + Barb
Some of our favorite simple living quotes:
"It's not the daily increase but daily decrease. Hack away at the unessential." - Bruce Lee
“It is quality rather than quantity that matters.” - Seneca
“Do nothing which is of no use.” - Miyamoto Musashi